For many people this time of year is cold, windy, wet and some say miserable – here at Que Bella we like to find beauty in everything. With these conditions we need to make sure that we’re looking after our skin in the most effective way to retain moisture and boast a radiant glow!
Here’s our top 5 winter skincare tips:
1. Avoid extra hot showers – it’s super tempting to jump into a boiling hot shower after spending time out in the rain, wind and snow. But wait! Really hot showers will strip moisture from your skin, risking flaky, itchy skin. A better way to warm yourself up, is to take regular ‘lukewarm’ showers and then wrap yourself in a warm towel after. Then, when dry, be sure to use a good hydrating moisturiser to restore the suppleness to your skin.
2. Eye care – throughout the cold months our eyes are much more susceptible to becoming dry and itchy, and high winds can make even the strongest person shed a little tear. Unless you want to wear sunglasses or an extreme ski mask throughout this period, it’s likely you’ll experience some sort of reaction to the weather. Therefore, it is more important than ever to keep this delicate skin as well moisturised as possible. The simplest way to do this, is double up! If you use an eye cream each morning, use it at night also – and vice versa. With your eyes being such a delicate area it’s certainly worth spending that little bit more to ensure you get the best eye care product for you. In the long run the investment will be worth it!
3. SPF – during the summer months, when the sun is beating down on us the majority of people are very conscious of applying products with a high SPF to protect our skin, and our health, from the sun’s damaging UV rays. This seems to be forgotten when we’re wrapped up against winter’s brutal chill. However, what we must remember is that although not as warm, the sun’s rays are just as strong and can be just as damaging. Make sure that the small amounts of skin that are exposed to these rays have some level of SPF protection. There’s countless hand creams, moisturisers and foundations on the market that contain SPF, so be sure to look out for these.
4. Moisturise – this word must be the most popular word used on this whole blog, but seriously it is the most important thing for skincare. Even if you feel you have quite oily skin, there’s a moisturiser out there for you. As winter weather tends to dry out skin, it’s imperative to ensure your moisturiser is as hydrating as possible. It’s a good idea to avoid skincare products that have alcohol in, as this can have a drying effect on your skin. Also, ensure you are using a hand cream throughout the cold snap, constant changes of temperature from inside and outside, layers of gloves, and risk of getting wet can lead to various skincare issues, regular use of a good hand cream should help keep these at bay.
5. Your diet – we all know that when it’s cold outside it’s great to get in and curl up with a snuggly, warm, hot chocolate. This is fine once in a while, but do be sure to keep up your water intake. There is no natural product better for your skin. Also, throughout winter it’s important to eat foods high in essential fatty acids, a few good examples are almonds, avocados and salmon.
We hope these tips help with your winter skincare regime. If you have any tips and tricks, let us know and we’ll share them via our Twitter Feed.